Teaching and Learning
The Sweet Home School District Office of Teaching and Learning supports District staff and programs in curriculum development, implementation, and student assessment. We strive to coordinate district-wide curriculum and instructional efforts to help each student achieve success in school and beyond.
While supporting our district’s mission, we work to ensure our curriculum is correlated with the New York State Next Generation Learning Standards as well as provide professional development to achieve district and building improvement goals.
District improvement strategies continue to focus on the following areas:
Safe, Respectful, and Supportive Learning Environments:
- Intentionally designing structures and activities to cultivate connection, build leadership, and promote student well-being, creating a strong sense of community.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion/ Culturally Responsive Teaching:
- Foster a culture of inclusion and care where every SH community member feels supported and experiences a strong sense of belonging. Utilize culturally responsive practices to improve learning for students.
Curriculum and Assessment Alignment:
- Revise the local K-12 curricula (curriculum and assessment) to meet the rigor of Next Generation Learning Standards and/ or National Learning standards.
Program Design/Delivery/ Professional Learning Communities:
- Build the capacity of teachers to utilize a focused set of best professional practices promoting higher levels of learning for all students.
- Implement data analysis cycles/ protocols of state and local assessment data to identify trends in student performance and make instructional adjustments that are responsive to student needs.
- Implement the meaningful integration of technology to deepen student engagement and personalize the learning experience.
The menu bar on the left provides links to many relevant areas of teaching and learning.