What Your Child Will Learn
- Make or break apart numbers from 11 to 19 into tens ones and some more ones. Use objects or drawings and record each with an equation. (e.g., 18 = 10 + 8) (K.NBT.1)
K Numbers and Operationsinbase 10 VocabCards PDF
- Place Value: The value of the place of the digit in the number (For example: in 27, 2 is in the 10's place and is worth 20)
- Decompose: Breaking a number apart (For example: 15=8+7)
- Compose: Putting numbers together to make a new number (For example: 5+10=15)
- Add: To join two or more numbers
- Ten: A group of ten ones
- Equation: A mathematical statement containing an equal sign, to show that two expressions are equal
- Subtract: To take one quantity away from another
Activities at Home
- Use a stick of spaghetti to represent 10 and marshmallows to represent ones. Represent the numbers 12, 13, and 16 with the spaghetti and marshmallows.
- Use a popsicle stick to represent a ten and beans to represent ones. Using a deck of cards, give your child a 10 card, and draw another number card, then add the numbers together and show the number with sticks and beans.
- Walk from one end of the kitchen to the other and count how many steps, then show how many steps were taken with sticks and beans.
Ten-Frames are two-by-five rectangular frames into which counters are placed to illustrate numbers less than or equal to ten, and are therefore very useful devices for developing number sense within the context of ten
Insert pic of 10 frame
What is a bead string?
Insert pic of bead string
Insert pic of 100 chart
What is a number line?
Insert pic of number line
Bears, beads, chips, coins, blocks